Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Statistics and Economics

I finished Naked Statistics by Charles Wheelan this week. I'd read another book by Wheelan before, Naked Economics, and they both have earned a place in my top ten favorite books.

I'm more of a biology person in general, but Wheelan's two books have made me like statistics and economics almost as much as I like learning about disease or cell structure.


Wheelan's sense of humor and his writing style make these "boring" sciences fun and relevant as they actually are when stripped of all the tedious ooze. I even laughed out loud a few times while reading them on the train. That got some strange looks from the other passengers. (Why is that girl laughing while reading about economics?)

Here are some points Wheelan discusses in Naked Statistics and Naked Economics:
  • Most people use statistics all the time, such as baseball fans figuring batting averages, yet they often turn around and think statistics are boring.
  • When not used or understood properly, statistics can twist the truth, both intentionally and unintentionally
  • Goods produced in sweatshops can be traded to help increase the wealth of the nation, and the wealthier the nation, the better the working conditions. Though people should never have to work in bad conditions, getting rid of sweatshops may not be the best way to improve people's welfare.
  • Inflation is a terrible way to reduce national debt.
I would recommend both Naked Statistics and Naked Economics to anyone looking for a smart and entertaining read.

No comments:

Post a Comment